Firefox 3's Awesome Bar is not Awesome at All

I've been supporting Firefox since the beginning... But after FF3 is released, I'm really disappointed. I though everything was right, like faster loading speed, higher security. But NO! There is one thing among all the improvements that make it sucks, it is none other than the 'Revolutionary Smart Location Bar / Awesome Bar'.

So why does it sucks?

1.The location bar AUTOMATICALLY display all my bookmarks.

2. I can't clear the location bar unless I DELETE all my bookmarks.

3. Automatically displays website I have visited, even though i did no enter in the location bar.

What problems does it led to?

1. Do you know how many 'special' sites i have in my bookmarks? They have been hiding in my bookmarks folder all these years. But now they just popping out of my location bar!!! All my Dark Secrets will be revealed if my friends or family see how special those sites are in my location bar!

2. Hiding the 'special' sites from my location bar by sacrificing my collection of bookmarks? NO WAY! It would also be way troublesome if i saved all my bookmarks in notepad and delete it in my bookmarks folder.

3. Yes I've visited the some sites, but it doesn't mean I'll be going there again. So normally go to sites through Google rather than typing it in my location bar. But now, it saved that URL into my location bar even though I did not type it in! WTF is wrong??? All those 'sites' that I've visited keep POPPING out!

Disappointed, I decided to ask my friend for help before downgrading it back to version 2. After he heard this piece of shit news, he was HOT. The 'google' in him just snapped, and he found the solution.

Solution 1

By using an extension called 'Hide Unvisited 3'

It hide pages (bookmarks) that you haven't visited from showing in the AwesomeBar. This is for users that don't want to see any bookmarks showing up unless they've used the bookmark since deleting certain pages/sites or clearing the history.


Reviews

1. AWESOME! I almost uninstall FF3 if not for this. The awesome bar is absolutely not awesome, you're better! ;)

2. One giant step for mankind to make the 'awesomebar' less 'awesome' and more 'useful'.

3. This add-on is absolutely fantastic and does exactly what I wanted it to do and most likely what many others will want actually. Make the "Awesome Bar" stop displaying your bookmark entries. A simple yet stunningly effective add-on that I hope is taken out of Experimental soon. Why couldn't the developers just have built this functionality in?

So after reading the reviews I installed this extension, then cleared my private data. With a blink of eye the AWESOME BAR was finally empty. Overjoyed, i continue surfing my net. But to my horror, it STILL records the pages I've visited in the location bar!!!!

That Awesome Bar got to go DOWN! Down to HELL!

Solution 2 (FINAL)

How to Completely disable the AWESOME BAR

  1. In the Location bar, type about:config, and press Enter
    • The about:config "This might void your warranty!" warning page may appear. Click I'll be careful, I promise!, to continue to the about:config page.
  2. Search for the preference browser.urlbar.maxRichResults.
  3. Double-click the browser.urlbar.maxRichResults preference and enter a value of -1.
  4. From the menu at the top of the Firefox windowbar, select FileFirefox and then select the ExitQuit FirefoxQuit menu item.
  5. Start Firefox again.
Bye bye Awesome Bar. Hope not to see you again.


0 remarks:

About