Stacker Secrets


Background
Not so long ago, a friend an I visited the arcade in Bugis and found out there was a new game I had never played before called stacker. It took several minutes to figure out how the game worked and at $1 per play I was in no rush to send in my wallet in to the stacker shredder, that was until I watched some other play and give me the general idea. It’s very simple, stack the boxes to the top, and win a prize.

So after watching two others toss nearly $20 in plays into the machine, I decided to try my hand at it. First time, I managed to get to the minor prize and then accidentally hit the accept minor prize button. Well I wasn’t going to settle with that… So I tried again, got to the top, and won myself an Nintendo DS Lite (Two $2 tries). Not a bad return. It was then that I realized that there are some Stacker tips you should notice next time you run into an arcade and are about to spend your entire allowance on a Stacker. I can’t guarantee that it will get you that prize, but it will certainly help if you want to learn how to win the Stacker Arcade Game.

Breakdown: Stacker
Easy right? Yep.
Addicting? Ridiculously addictive.
Fair? Hardly, here are a few tips I learned

Stacker is rigged
Just like any other arcade game, Stacker is built so that the arcade makes money- Period. No arcade is going to offer Nintendo Wiis, PS3, Ipods or anything else of considerable value if it is going to cause them to lose money. So you will need to face the fact that until the machine has met its quota, it will not dispense any prize, and so the arcade makes money. So here is an example:

A stacker machine contains a Handphone, Ipod, PSP, digital camera all ranging in the $250-$300 range. Thanks to all those spammers their stacker business is gradually growing rapidly. Hence some machines have better and more attractive prizes like a PS3.
The difficulty can be set so that 1 in 20 to 1 in 800 people actually can win.

The arcade sets it to be $2 per play and on 1 in 300 plays wins.

So 300 plays after the machine is first configured or since the last winner, a prize will be dispensed assuming the person playing has decent motor skills and hand/eye coordination. By the time that person wins, the 1 winner (hopefully) walks away with a good ‘return on investment’ for his gamble and the arcade (depending on the prize chosen) has made anywhere from $300-$350.

So How do I Win if it’s rigged?
It’s pretty easy to realize if you have good hand/eye coordination: If you can make it to at least just below the minor prize bar without dropping any boxes, you have decent hand eye coordination and should be able to pull off winning when the machine is ready to give you a prize. From the Minor bar up is the rigged area, it’s very, VERY easy to realize that you’ve been jyped from your win because by that point you know when to hit it. Even though it gets progressively faster, you should have no problems keeping up.

The key here is to play in moderation. Visit every couple of days and play two or three times MAX.

Additionally, if you really want to go hardcore on stacker, I hear that stoopid games has a flash practice version of stacker…

Quick Tips:
If you’re the kind of person who likes listed tips, here you go, this is a summary of the above:
* Play in moderation - Stacker will not give a prize if it’s not ready to give a prize (2-3 times a day MAX)

* Take your time when playing- you have 30 seconds each time you hit that button to go to the next level. Don’t feel rushed to rush through the levels. Take a breather after each level and then in your calm state of Zen, attempt the next one.

* Try to Figure out your odds - Don’t be afraid to curiously ask the attendant when the last time someone actually won a prize was. Also missing items from the game case is another indicator of whether or not someone has recently won. Do an estimation of the price per play and the prize values and give a rough estimation of odds.

* Don’t suck
- Even if stacker met its quota and is ready to give you that brand new PSP, you’re not going to get it if you can’t even get up to the minor prize bar. Sorry, but you still have to earn the prize.

In Closing
On a final note keep in mind that I do not officially know anything about the inner workings of this game. I have based what I typed purely on what I have gained from experience. When I win anything else from these machines, I’ll be sure to post about them so subscribe to my RSS feed and you just may find some other things you may find interesting as I post about them ;)

4 remarks:

Anonymous said...

hey i played stacker at the movie theaters and at the mall and it can be done. my friend won an ipod touch the new one with all the trimmings. he spent about ten dollars on it. i can get to the major prize bar and then i lose. i also accidently accepted a minor prise but if you press continue you can kepp going. good luck
oh on the last bar try to place the block just to the right or left of your stack

Anonymous said...

hey i played stacker at the movie theaters and at the mall and it can be done. my friend won an ipod touch the new one with all the trimmings. he spent about ten dollars on it. i can get to the major prize bar and then i lose. i also accidently accepted a minor prise but if you press continue you can kepp going. good luck
oh on the last bar try to place the block just to the right or left of your stack

Eli Burford said...

Thanks for the tips.

I've recently discovered the game and found it extremely addictive. Getting a minor prize is extremely easy, I can get to it every try, but who wants a minor prize?

I'm still trying to get the Nintendo DS Lite.

Anonymous said...

Hey hey thanks fo the info. Every time I play this game I get to the top row but I just cant get the timing righ..... ughh... so frustrating.

Cheers!

About